|Rosarita Cisneros (Roberta)|
|Name||Rosarita Cisneros (Roberta)|
|Height||170 cm (5' 7")|
|Manga||Chapter 02: Rasta Blasta Part 1|
|Anime||Episode 08: Rasta Blasta|
|Japanese Anime Voice||Michie Tomizawa|
|English Anime Voice||Tabitha St. Germain|
Rosarita Cisneros (ロザリタ・チスネロス Rozarita Chisunerosu), more commonly known as Roberta (ロベルタ Roberuta) and sometimes "Bloodhound"/"The Bloodhound", is a Colombian maid who worked at the Lovelace Family household for four years in Venezuela.
Character Bio[edit | edit source]
Although Roberta's domestic skills such as cleaning and cooking were poor, she developed a close friendship with Garcia Lovelace, the young son of the Lovelace family.
She was once known as Rosarita Cisneros who is a former F.A.R.C guerrilla trained as an assassin in Cuba and an internationally wanted criminal that Balalaika refers her as a "hardcore terrorist" to the point that Hotel Moscow had to deploy all their commandos, as well as Balalaika getting involved in the situation personally should things get out of hand. Revy refers to her as "That Fucking Glasses Bitch". She earned the moniker "Bloodhound of Florencia" for her relentless drive to achieve her objectives. Her tormented past and the smell of blood, gunpowder and muck like that of a sewer rat emanating from her was something Revy understood fully well.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Roberta is pale-skinned young woman with waist-length dark purple hair that is tied in low pigtail braids with square bangs hanging over her eyebrows, blue eyes that can sometimes turn dull purple, sharp canine teeth and large, thick and overly round glasses.
She is seen wearing a long maid uniform and a cross necklace.
Roberta's Blood Trail[edit | edit source]
Roberta lets her hair loose with the bottom tied up by a white string that shows she has knee-length hair and she no longer wears her glasses.
She wears a sleeveless white shirt, black pants, black gloves and black shoes.
History[edit | edit source]
Roberta admitted that she did murder children, women or anyone in name of revolution during her F.A.R.C years. Disillusioned by the fact that she was merely a tool for the drug cartels in cahoots with F.A.R.C, she opted out and joined the Lovelace clan as a maid through her father, who was a close friend of Diego Lovelace. Despite being asked by Garcia Lovelace not to pick up gun-fighting anymore, later events in the manga depict her watching helplessly as a bomb was set off, killing many including Diego. Garcia's question of why was his father was a victim makes her go into battle again, seeking revenge. Roberta also shows signs of a growing anger; she is shown taking mouthfuls of stimulant drugs and experiencing haunting hallucinations of her past victims, most notably a Japanese man. It is revealed that she tore his family picture before ruthlessly shooting him in the forehead.
She once again stalks the city of Roanapur in search of the one responsible for assassinating her master. Unfortunately, it turns out to be the U.S. Special Forces, whose intentions were to assassinate a general, who had to sacrifice Diego Lovelace to complete their mission. Roberta's quest for vengeance has put many of Roanapur's residents, including Hotel Moscow, the Triad, and the Colombian Cartel, on high alert as it could mean the end for all of them if their new enemy is the United States. Most of the residents blame the Lagoon Company for attracting her back to Roanapur despite the fact the group was in the dark about the situation and "brushed it off as if it were an Elvis sighting." Further into her quest, she begins to lose sight of her goal, almost returning to her former persona. She begins to lose her sanity and has trouble identifying friend and foe, thus almost harming Garcia in the process. The F.A.R.C commander even comments that she is no longer the hound they once knew, but a stray wolf. Her oath as the "Bloodhound of Florencia" is, "For I vow upon the name of Santa Maria, to strike down upon any and all unrighteousness," according to Vol. 1. This version is seen in Vol. 6: "I vow in the name of Santa Maria. An iron hammer to all the unrighteous."
In Chapter 73, Roberta is last seen with an American woman, presumably Eda. The woman is able to subdue Roberta and gives her the location where Gray Fox is, something only an American security agent could know. Roberta finally catches up with Gray Fox and kills the soldiers from the three groups sent out, except for Caxton who is thought to be killed by Garcia. However, it was later revealed that he faked his own death using fake bullets in order to stop her path of revenge. In the manga, Ray is killed by Caxton when he tries to kill Roberta after she pulls herself together.
In added pages of Chapter 76 Vol. 9, when Roberta was shot by Garcia with fake bullets, she accidentally shot Garcia, grazing his liver. Garcia smiles and kisses her on the lips, which causes her to blush. Roberta, Fabiola and Garcia came out of the situation alive and well. There is also a scene where Fabiola greets the murdered Japanese engineer's family, who are visiting the Lovelace mansion, and a nervous Roberta and Garcia are standing side by side.
In the anime OVAs, it is shown that Roberta, Fabiola and Garcia came out of the situation alive and well in the end. However, Roberta has lost her right leg, left arm, her right eye, and index and middle finger of the right hand, the latter of which she severed herself and tossed to the ground after they took a bullet from an American sniper. She is alongside Garcia when he is meeting up with Shane, Fabiola and the Japanese engineer's family.
Ability[edit | edit source]
In combat, Roberta is a truly fearsome opponent who has quite a powerful body where her strength, speed, endurance and instincts have been honed to almost supernatural levels so much that Rock refers to her sardonically as "a killer robot from the future" (which is a reference to James Cameron's Terminator movies) and she has extensive training in a wide variety of tracking/stealth combat skills, including martial arts. The irony is that while Roberta is one of the most powerful warrior-women, if not the most dangerous, she is also one of the more humane (having or showing compassion or benevolence) in Black Lagoon.
- Enhanced Strength: Roberta's strength is so powerful that she grabs Dutch's wrist and she pulls out of Benny's car window during a car chase. She is also able to break one of Shenhua's kukri knife with her bare teeth and destroy Frederica Sawyer's chainsaw with two of her handguns (Roberta's Blood Trail).
- Enhanced Durability: Roberta is able to withstand a few punches from Dutch when he tries to get her to let go of his wrist.
- Enhanced Speed: During a bar shoot out, Roberta is able to dodge a row of bullets flying towards her.
She has an unwavering devotion to Diego Lovelace (Roberta's master) and dotes on Garcia Lovelace (Diego's son) whom she loves deeply. Roberta and Revy fight each other, but they only to beat themselves up where Rock interferes, but Roberta and Revy tell him to stay out of it. In the manga and anime, the fight ends in a draw right after they punch each other out simultaneously, although Garcia claims Roberta won because she remained conscious. Her kindness can easily change as seen in a humorous omake in Volume 1 of the manga when Garcia flipped her skirt up, groped and slapped her butt playfully, which prompted her to pinch his arm and lift him up off the ground by the skin of his arm as punishment until he apologized, showing that her patience has a limit before losing her temper.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
Roberta has a very high degree of proficiency in the use of a wide variety of weapons. Among the weapons, she has used a Barrett M82A1 anti-material sniper rifle with a grenade launcher mounted underneath the barrel, which she could fire one-handed despite the weapon's size and significant weight - a testament to both her skill and tremendous physical strength. She has also used a combat knife, a SPAS-12 shotgun disguised as an umbrella, machine gun, grenade launcher hidden in a suitcase, spiked brass knuckles, trench spikes, and twin Sistema Colt Model 1927s (see Colt M1911 pistols). In the manga, she uses IMBEL M1911 developed by Indústria de Material Bélico do Brasil, based on the Colt M1911A1, as well as an antique Charleville musket that once belonged to the Lovelace family.
Etymology[edit | edit source]
- The name Roberta means "bright and shining with fame".
- Her real name Rosarita means "rosary" in Spanish.
- Roberta's surname Cisneros is a place in the province of Palencia, named with a derivative of Spanish "cisne" meaning "swan" (via Old French and Latin).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In issue #50 of Anime Insider magazine, director Sunao Katabuchi comments that the animation staff referred to Roberta as an "Evil Mary Poppins" and he goes on to add that creator Rei Hiroe had long thought of Roberta as a kind of "Death Poppins".
- In Ch. 44 Pg. 11 and Episode 25, it is revealed that Roberta has a moderate curvaceous figure and large breasts (bigger than Revy's) when she is seen naked in the shower.
- In the ending to the "Roberta's Blood Trail" OVA, there are differences on how Roberta survived the fight:
- In both versions, she survives.
- In the manga, she survived without sustaining any major injury (Vol. 9 Chapter 76).
- In the anime, she suffers significant wounds throughout the final battle as she ultimately lost her left arm, right leg, two fingers, her right eye and she was also confined to a wheelchair, but this seems to be temporary when she recovered as she is seen rising from the chair at the end of the OVA.
- In the First Popularity Poll, Roberta ranked 5th place with 374 votes
- In a popularity contest during the 10th collection manga release, Roberta ranked 6th with 877 votes
- Revy refers to Roberta as "Fucking Four Eyes" and "That Fucking Glasses Bitch".
- Roberta earned the moniker "Bloodhound of Florencia" for her relentless drive to achieve her objectives.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Click here to see Roberta/Image Gallery